The 2/5 and Melotone Compton (No. A360)
organ was opened in December 1936 by Neville Turner.
The pipework was installed in a large chamber to the
left of the proscenium arch and the console (complete
with illuminated surround) was installed on a central
lift in the orchestra pit. It is believed that the organ
cost nearly £8,000.
The instrument was relatively small having only
five ranks of pipes, Muted Trumpet, Tibia Clausa,
Tuba, Flute and Cello. Alongside the usual real
percussion instruments was an Electrostatic Melotone
unit which provided a Vibraphone effect as well as a whole host of other electric sounds.
In 1967, the organ was installed at Weavers Road School in Wellingborough where regular concerts were held into the early 1980's. The organ became used less and eventually, it sat practically forgotten until in 2004, members of CCOC made enquiries about it. This led to it's eventual purchase in 2007.
A new home was found in the Ballroom of Bilston Town Hall and the team installed it there. It is played weekly for tea dances and we hope to organise occasional concerts in the future.